About the city - Tbilisi
Tbilisi was founded in the middle of the 5th century by King Vakhtang
Gorgasali. Tbilisi was named for its springs – the Georgian word for ‘warm” is Tbili.
Tbilisi has survived over 40 invasions by the Persians, Arabs, Mongols, Seljuk and
Ottoman Turks, and tribes from the North Caucasus, but has always been able to rise
again. In 1801 Georgia was occupied by Russia and Tbilisi became the administrative
center of the Georgian Province, and later the headquarters of the Commander in Chief
of Russian forces in the Caucasus. Since 1875 it was the residence of the governor
general of the Caucasus.
During the early nineteenth century Tbilisi gradually transformed from a
medieval feudal town into a European bourgeoisie city. In the second half of the 19th
century the Georgian theatre resumed its activities, and a Russian theatre and Italian
opera house came into being. In addition, a public library, a museum and botanical
garden and observatory were founded. The city’s population kept growing, leading
towards the establishment of new districts. In 1918 Tbilisi became the capital of
independent Georgia, but in 1921 the red army crushed the new Republic. After 70
years, in 1991, Georgia regained its independence and the ancient city of Tbilisi is the
capital of present day Georgia.